I’ve been no good at keeping this blog updated regularly… but I have a good excuse.
Initially, this was intended to be my professional grad student blog. My plan was to write exclusively about academic subjects, with an eye on boosting my web profile as I headed towards the job market.
The problem was that I had trouble identifying academic topics I felt like blogging about. Not because there was any lack of interesting developments in the real world, or of cool work being done in my academic areas of interest. I simply found that I would rather write about all the other stuff I like, such as:
- Startups, entrepreneurship, the accelerating creation and destruction of markets.
- My own projects, such as the new startup I’m working on, ApplyMap.
- New developments in media, interactive entertainment, and games of all kinds.
- Awesome books: fiction, nonfiction, prose, how-to.
- Maybe I’ll pretend like it’s 2010 and do some games journalism.
- Pro sports and sports analytics, which I’m really getting into, with a special focus on the San Francisco 49ers, the Sacramento Kings, and combat sports.
- Not-so-pro sports, meaning all the sports and other athletic endeavors I injure myself participating in.
- Current events.
- Coding. I’m learning Objective-C and backend web stuff (JS, PHP, MySQL).
- Okay, fine, academics. political science, development econ, complexity science, computational modeling. I may be on leave from UCLA right now to work on the startup, but I still love this stuff.
So, with that in mind, I’m officially rechristening, repurposing, and relaunching this blog, just in time for 2014. Given this new list, I’d better be able to keep a regular posting schedule, because I’m out of excuses.